Monday, January 30, 2017

Baltimore Museum of Art

Last week we were lucky enough to take a trip to the Baltimore Museum of Art. While there we got t see a wide variety of 2D and 3D art pieces from many perspectives and eras of art. Usually. when I go to art museums I am drawn to more impressionist work like Monet, however this time I was more drawn to modern and more "crude" art pieces.  

 Chur by Sascha Braunig

This piece was in a room of a lot of other works that all seemed strange and like they did not really make a ton of sense, but art can be different to everyone. This kind of brings me back to this weeks lesson about lines. This is a bunch of lines that pattern out and make a brain in the middle. This is definitely more of a modern piece that I would not usually be drawn to, but I really liked this.


 View Overlooking Ceret by Chaim Soutine

This was one of the first paintings I saw when I was walking around that really caught my eye. I really like the thick lines and bright colors. I like that you don't really know what you are looking at and it takes a minute to actually understand. This is a landscape. At the top you have the dark sky, the middle is a group of zig zagged mountains, and the bottom is a river the goes through the mountain. At first glance you could probably argue that anyone could just throw some paint on a canvas and get this result, but I really like the little details and intricacies that make this so powerful. 
Still Life with Lemons by Georges Braque

I really liked this painting because of the lemons. They look so 3D even with the thick black line around the yellow. I like how simple the idea is and how lifelike the execution. I am also a big fan of the shading. Realism is not usually something I like because if is just like taking a picture, but I like this because their seemed to be an angle that made it more then just a bowl of lemons. These lemons are leaping off the page.

All in all, I really enjoyed the museum and I like that I found different styles interesting to me. I would definitely want to go back or branch out and try other museums and see other pieces that I have never seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment